There’s a nice little restaurant just around the corner from me that makes a great Tom Ka Gai, aka Coconut Soup. I eat there at least once a week and I’ve said for a while I was going to try making this myself. I live in Metro Atlanta and I could get the authentic ingredients, but being in the suburbs it would require a bit of a trip to gather them. Luckily, I was flipping through some old cookbooks the other day and stumbled across this recipe (found in Light Slow Cooker recipes from Better Homes & Gardens), using all ingredients that I can get at my grocery store. Since it was missing some of the authentic ingredients like kefir lime leaves, galangal and fish sauce I wasn’t sure what to expect from it. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. If you can readily get the more authentic ingredients it might be even better.
Sorry I don’t have any prep pics here, I wasn’t planning on posting it but it came out so good I wanted to share. This recipe is slightly tweaked from the original, and I also needed to add a bit more salt for my taste. The original recipe also suggested adding crushed peanuts when serving.
THAI CHICKEN COCONUT SOUP
Makes 6 servings
Printer Friendly Recipe
1 Lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 medium carrots, biased cut into ¾ inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 ½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
1 15 oz. can straw mushrooms, drained
1 15 oz. can unsweetened light coconut milk
2 medium red, yellow and/or green sweet peppers, cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro
My tweaks… I needed to add some salt to mine. I also sliced a jalapeño and tossed it in the last 5 minutes for a little extra heat.
- In 3 ½ – 4 ½ quart slow cooker, combine chicken, broth, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, lemon peel and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2 ½ – 3 hours, skim off fat.
- Stir in mushrooms, coconut milk, sweet peppers and cilantro. Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
BASIC NUTRITION INFO (per serving)
- Calories: 186
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
You might also like:
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup (denseanddelicious.com)
- Thai Red Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (twistedcheft.com)
- Sweet Potato-coconut Soup With Shrimp (tamaraleighauthor.wordpress.com)